Saturday 12 May 2012

Gingerbread Cupcakes

Making cupcakes is a new found favourite past time of mine, I used to hate baking (basically due to the fact I was useless at it and my cakes resembled a brick rather than being light & fluffy).....I have got better but I think that's down to the fact I have a little more patience about it now, but I'm still by no means an expert.....but at least they pass as edible now :D

These are 1 of my all time favourite flavour cupcake (the other is lemon curd).

I nicked this recipe off the Internet but adapted it slightly......I cant stand nutmeg, so that got left out and I used mixed spice instead......I also added a little more spice than stated.


They are absolutely gorgeous (well if you like ginger like me hehe)

These are what mine looked like:

 (this is the 1st time I've ever made butter cream & as you can probably tell I'm probably not the best with the piping skills, but hey they still taste the same) :D


This is what they're meant to look like:

(As you can see, ever so slightly more professional looking than mine) :D

 

Heres the recipe that I used if you want to give them a go:

Ingredients

  • 150 g butter, room temperature
  • 150 g soft brown sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 150 g self-raising flour
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • ½ tsp ground cinnamon
  • pinch freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1 tbsp milk
For the frosting
  • 200 g butter, at room temperature
  • 50 g soft brown sugar
  • 3 tbsp milk
  • 200 g icing sugar
  • pinch ground cinnamon                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

    Method

    1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/ gas 4.

    2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

    3. Sift the flour together with the spices.

    3. Gradually mix the eggs into the creamed butter and sugar alternating with the flour to stop the mix from curdling. Finally, stir through the milk.

    4. Place 12 paper cupcake cases into a muffin tin and divide the mixture between them.

    5. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and springy to the touch. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.

    6. For the frosting: while the cupcakes are cooking place 50 grams of the butter in a pan with the brown sugar and cook over a low heat until melted. Add 2 tablespoons of the milk and stir to form a thick glossy toffee sauce. Leave to one side to cool to room temperature.

    7. In a large mixing bowl beat the butter until smooth, then start to sift in the icing sugar, stirring regularly. Add the toffee sauce and stir until thoroughly incorporated. Add a splash more of milk if the mixture seems too thick - the frosting should be light and creamy.

    8. Put the frosting in a piping bag and pipe onto the cupcakes. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon before serving.

2 comments:

  1. These sound yummy! I've never actually had gingerbread cupcakes before so I might have o try them!

    ReplyDelete